The main objective of Drugs Control Administration is to ensure that the drugs that are made available to the public, who use them for prevention, mitigation or treatment of diseases are of the required standards of quality, purity and strength and are packed in containers giving all necessary information about the drug and its manufacturer. Drugs control Administration regulates the manufacture, sale and distribution of drugs in the state of Telangana by implementing the following central legislations throughout the state.
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Drugs and Cosmetics Rules 1945.
- To provide safe, efficacious and quality medicines.
Medical Devices Rules 2017 - Regarding Medical Devices and IVDs of Risk Class A and B
2. Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisement) Act, 1954 & Rules 1955.
- To control the advertisement of drugs in certain cases, to prohibit the advertisement of certain
purposes of remedies alleged to posses magic qualities and to provide for matters connected therewith.
3. Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013 r/w Essential Commodities Act, 1955.
- To make drugs available at the prices fixed by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority.
4. A.P Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Rules, 1986 (Telangana Adaptation Order 2016).
(For limited activities)
- Grant and Renewal of licenses (Form NDPS-1 and Form NDPS-2) and transport permits for Narcotic drugs (inter and intra state)
5. The Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act 2003.
- Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce Production and Supply and Distribution relating
to tobacco and tobacco products
The Drug Includes:
(i) all medicines for internal or external use of human beings or animals and all substances intended to be used for
or in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of any disease or disorder in human beings or animals,
including preparations applied on human body for the purpose of repelling insects like mosquitoes.
(ii) such substances (other than food ) intended to affect the structure or any function of the human body or intended
to be used for the destruction of vermin or insects which cause disease in human beings or animals, as may be
specified from time to time by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette.
(iii) all substances intended for use as components of a drug including empty gelatin capsules; and
(iv) such devices intended for internal or external use in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of disease
or disorder in human beings or animals, as may be specified from time to time by the Central Government by
notification in the Official Gazette, after consultation with the Board.
Drugs regulated By Drugs Control Administration:
i) Allopathic Drugs
ii) Blood, Blood components, Blood Products
iii) Medical Devices - Risk Class A and Class B
Objective of the Drugs Control Administration:
• To ensure safety, efficacy, purity and quality of Drugs.
• To prevent consumers from self-medication.
• To ensure availability of essential medicines at authorized prices.
• To create an awareness about the importance of proper storage of drugs, rational use of antibiotics.
• To eliminate irrational combinations /banned drugs.
• To collect the information in general about the drug availability, shortage and take necessary steps.
• To prevent misuse of Narcotics drugs and Psychotropic drugs.